Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Spaghetti and Chicken Meatballs

As many of you may know, Japanese food is actually different than American food. Who knew? Anyway, cooking has always been one of my passions so I've been experimenting with making lots of food. I"m keeping a notebook of all my recipes that I make, because I often forget just exactly what I put in the bowl. It's always exciting to imagine a kind of food, then decide how much do I put in?, should I add spices?, what kind of flavor will it have if I dont? If I do?

Just last night I made Chicken Meatballs...here's the recipe! (by the way) I don't actually measure anything, it's just an eyeball guess in most cases, so if you actually try to make this...well, more power to you for trying :)

1tsp Salt/pepper mix
300gram Ground Chicken (can you get ground chicken in America, I've heard of ground turkey, but not chicken)
2 slices of white bread, cut into cubes (should be bought from a bakery)
1 egg (helps to keep everything together)

So all I actually did was to put everything in one of my handy dandy Glad containers and mix everything by hand. It must be mixed by hand. First, because I think it's easier. Second, because its so much more fun to mix with your hands! [=] Roll into around 1inch balls.
After that, I just cooked them in my fry pan with a lid over them. I guess it might be around 8 or 9 min (4min on each side) in the fry pan. You'll know when they are done, if you don't know, cut it open and look.
I'm not really sure how to truly cook meatballs, maybe you boil them normally to keep the ball shape, but if they start to look like thick patties, don't freak out, it'll still taste the same when you eat it. As long as my measurements are the real thing, you should be able to make around 8-10 chicken meatballs.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Miho said...

Hello my phil kun, how are you doing? I wish you could be here in 2 weeks and help me out with my sushi and origami party. I'm sure you will make a good cook. I am horrible. I know.. but I have already told my friends that I can cook! Well, it's not a lie because I can actually cook whatever only if people don't care about the taste. Anyway, I gotta go now. It seems we are having a calc exam tomorrow. bye bye~

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Phil,
Good job cooking. My question is did you use any spices? Keep cooking you can cook the 2 weeks you are at home in February.
Mom

1:08 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

um, i guess i used spices if you consider pepper and salt spices :)

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chicken meatballs (from Betty Crocker cookbook)
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
2 medium carrots, chopped (1 cup)
2 medium stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 (46-ounce) can tomato juice (5 3/4 cups)
3 1/4 cups chicken broth
9 cups Chinese (napa) cabbage, chopped
Chicken Meatballs (see below)
1 cup uncooked acini de pepe, dot shape pasta (8 ounces)
1 1/2 cups chopped fresh parsley

CHICKEN MEATBALLS
1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
5 medium green onions, chopped (1/3 cup)
1 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
OR
1 cup soft white bread crumbs
1/3 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup fat-free cholesterol-free egg product
OR
2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Heat onion, carrots, celery, garlic, tomato juice and 2 cups of the broth to boiling in Dutch oven; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 15 minutes. Stir in cabbage. Simmer uncovered 5 minutes.

While mixture is simmering, prepare Chicken Meatballs. Stir meatballs and pasta into soup mixture. Simmer uncovered about 15 minutes or until pasta is tender and meatballs are no longer pink in centers.

Place parsley and remaining 1 1/4 cups broth in blender. Cover and blend on medium speed until puréed; stir into soup.

CHICKEN MEATBALLS:
Mix all ingredients. Shape by rounded tablespoonfuls into 24 balls. Spray 12-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Cook meatballs in skillet about 5 minutes or until light brown on all sides (they will not be cooked through).

Uncle Fred

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home